Tuesday 22 September 2015

Judging a book by it's cover...

OK, I'm very aware that you shouldn't! But a chance Instagram post a couple of weeks ago, and a comment that someone made upon it, caused me to think about the books which are my favourites just because they're pretty...

I started digging some out and soon realised that it's the pretty spines which grab me (once you've finished reading it you rarely see the cover itself but the spine is there for the world to see). It's also about how the book feels in your hands (one of the main reasons why I don't have a kindle!), so here's a selection chosen for spines, how they feel and in a couple of cases the fact that they're new.


Starting at the top: 

Think - is "A compelling Introduction to Philosophy" written by Simon Blackburn - it's a lovely little thing which I've had for years and years - pretty sure I read it when I bought it but I'm tempted to read it again - can't remember if it was good or not though but I do recall that it was a nice size and shape and fitted into my bag! 

The spine of this copy of To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf has faded really badly - it was a lovely bright orange. The cover itself has a photograph of a lighthouse on which is OK but again it's a nice small size. I'm a Virginia Woolf fan so I love this one because I like the contents too...

Window Box Allotment by Penelope Bennett was absolutely bought for the cover *hides head in shame*, that and an interest in growing some veg on the patio at my old flat.

This New York City Guide book was bought before a trip to New York because we needed a guide book. It's pretty but we ended up buying the Time Out guide too (which we actually used while this stayed in the hotel room as it's a hardback - what was I thinking?). 

Ah, the Wainwright guides need no introduction - and yes it's a hardback book which you drag up a mountain with you, willingly. Looking forward to working through this best of (which isn't the prettiest of the set) with the little man when he's a bit older.

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood - I'm also a Margaret Atwood fan but I don't think this is her best book. By far the nicest edition I have of any of her books though!

The next one was totally bought for the spine! Christmas Stories (yes the C word in September, sorry!) - I can't find it on Amazon. I really pretty book which I bought a few years ago and started but didn't finish. I do recall it containing a good Sherlock Holmes story involving a stolen swan in Brixton though which was nice.

The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert - a first edition of a harrowing tale of three Germans during the second world war. Excellent book with a beautiful cover. 

Ah, Mrs Dalloway - my favourite book! So another Virginia Woolf - I bought this gorgeous edition at the National Portrait Gallery following their exhibition last year. My old battered paperback can now enter retirement.

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller - bought this year. It's a first novel by a friend of one of my best friends (who is also a writer). Mainly bought because she's a friend of a friend but it turned out to be a wonderful book which I couldn't put down. Looks pretty too but was a bit cumbersome on the train - look out for the paperback folks! 

And finally, the new Harper Lee - which I'm half way though. I still love Scout and I want it to get going a bit more but fear it won't - let's see! I like the cover though and the colour and typeface used are rather nice. Also a bit big for lugging around (hence I'm only half way through!). 

Do you ever buy books just because they look pretty? Or are you like me (most of the time) and just hunt out nicer looking editions of your favourites?!


No comments:

Post a Comment